Quote:
The worst thing about w10 is EVERY computer and
processor sold in last, what 2-3 years, is forced
to use it. At what benefit to the consumer?
Zero, in my opinion.

This is it in a nutshell. There is no gain or at least not enough gain to make it worth the learning. I am quite happy with what I have now. Computer development can completely stop now and life will be just peachy :-) I normally delay until some major reason comes along like a major memory increase and significantly better apps needing the memory gain. MultiCharts 64 bit is a good example. It will only run on Win7 because I often use more than the XP cap of 3 gig. Not having to constantly update means as musicians you get more time to practice, learn more songs, whatever :-)

As far as threats from (virus network worms, ransomware, rootkits) installing Windows offline then taking an double image backup to an external drive you don't plug in very often then going online is all you need. Even rootkits are knocked out when you restore. I often question having anvivirus software running. Just restore and install fresh take another 2 offline backups then go online and you are back and protected again. Nothing can touch you. It might be wise to get your operating system on DVD. I am glad I did.

I think the long term MS goal is to charge for everything by a monthly rental rate. They have started this with Office. I also think it has to do with MS wanting a monopoly. There was the big court battle over that years ago. People for good reason want lots of competition. It is good to see Google getting in there to compete.

Last edited by bowlesj; 06/19/18 07:08 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles