After much thinking I finally decided to get a tablet for charts, pdf's, irealpro, etc we've all talked about for gigs.

This is all I'm using it for, nothing else so all I need is a good, basic inexpensive large screen tablet. The el cheapo's I see online all have terrible reviews, poor screens, etc so I wind up checking out the new Amazon Fire HD 10.1 and bought it last night from Best Buy. It's only $149, has a high resolution screen and gets great reviews. Any other Android tablet with decent reviews costs twice that or more with a 10" screen. Yes I know iPads are great for musicians but for the money I just don't need one, all I need is something for charts.

I had already read the Fire cannot access the Google app store, it uses Amazon's app store so of course I do more research. I find all of the apps I'm considering are available including MobileSheets, Fakebook Pro and...irealpro.

I thought.

Turns out I didn't look closely enough. When I did a Google search for "Amazon irealpro app" the page that certainly looks like it's available has a little blurb off to the right that I didn't see on my phone that says "You are not eligible to purchase this app due to geographical restrictions". What!? What the heck is this? I do more looking and find this:

https://technimo.helpshift.com/a/ireal-pro/?s=purchases&f=ireal-pro-in-amazon-app-store

Which leads to this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

Talk about blindsided. I think it's cool that I could turn this into a Google tablet BUT...if doing this winds up turning it into a frisbee I may not be able to return it (well I could try, haha) but they probably would if I exchanged it for a Samsung for double the money.

My question is has anybody done this, does this look legit? Or is trying to save $150 not worth it and I should get a double the money tablet. Which would put me into the ball park of the new iPad 9.7 for $350 but dammit all I need is a stupid 10" or larger chart reader.

Thanks

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.