I really didn't mind 8.1. I downloaded an app that gave me something similar to the classic start menus and it also made Win8.1 boot up in the desktop mode with the start menu available.

But when Windows decided to let me upgrade to 10, I waited until the offer was getting close to the expiration date (hopefully for MS to get the bugs out) and did it.

I figured it would only be a matter of time before MS quit supporting 8.1 and I'd have to upgrade then for security reasons. By then it might cost money and be more of a problem to upgrade.

Other than the usually small 'security' patches, it's gone through a couple of major upgrades. MS quietly downloaded the upgrade data while the computer was on, then when turning off the computer, I installed the upgrade. Fortunately I had time so instead of shutting the computer off immediately, I made a disk image.

But to tell the truth, I haven't had a problem with any of the MS upgrades or updates. I know they can't foresee how every customer's computer is configured, but they seem to be getting better at this.

I usually get the Pro version when I buy a computer, but for some reason 8.1 either wasn't or MS decided to upgrade it to home. I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'll be extra sure to get the Pro edition when I need a new computer. That way I can decide when to install the upgrade.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks