To answer the question, Why (other than the backup)?

2009 27" iMacs have 2 SATA busses including the CD drive (that is slower than an inexpensive USB external); the 2010 & 2011 have three SATA busses with one unused. The 2011 also has Thunderbolt. None of those has USB 3 (introduced on the 2012 and up).

With 2T SSDs being readily available under $300 and these being easy to upgrade*, putting two 2T SSDs inside any 2009–2010 iMac makes a lot of sense. Added benefit, you get rid of the additional HHD heat source inside what is already an oven. With the 2011, you can throw a pair inside or stick the other in a Thunderbolt dock.

Having the Audiophile version, I still prefer having the original hard drive from PGMusic as a backup.

If I had the Ultra Pack, it wouldn't be as important since I could download everything in the event I had a drive failure. Since everything is 120G, I'd just install it on my boot drive—but that's me and I am not you.

*Yes, Really. I can install a pair of SSDs into any of these one-handed (with my disability, that's my only choice).

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5