David,

I really enjoyed this.

You are the only second person on the planet that I am acquainted with who has read Johann Joseph Fux's Gradus ad Parnassum. That was my starting text when I embarked on my journey of teaching myself counterpoint and 4-part harmony. In retrospect, it was fine place to begin. I wonder how many people will read your post and wonder how to pronounce his surname? smile smile

Back to your composition...

Your arrangements are always first class and this stands proudly beside all that you've posted to date. I was captivated by the way you used the cello. It blended so hauntingly well with the instruments. Your vocals and background vocals also fitted the mood of the melody very well indeed. When I first heard the chorus, I was immediately reminded of the light-rock/folk sound of Bobby Goldsboro (he's one of my favourites).

I found a lot to like with this. I've got to say that I definitely admire you for choosing an ABAB verse rhyme scheme and then upping the ante with an ABCABC chorus rhyme scheme! You've used it very well and maintained a conversational lyric flow. I always find that more intense my rhyme patterns, the harder fitting lyrics together becomes. You make it look and sound very, very easy though.

As I said at the start, I really enjoyed this -- technically and musically.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024