Originally Posted By: floyd jane
This. Is. Excellent.

A good "pop" write. The instrumentation is excellent. Good arrangement.

Thanks!

My youngest daughter weighed in this morning with "Dad, it's not extraordinary. It sounds like all your other songs." Which (bless her heart, she takes after her Dad) is true, but it's nice to get feedback from people who take the time to notice the details about a song, and are polite enough to overlook the faults. laugh

Quote:
I like your voice! (you are far too hard on yourself). The harmonies are extraordinary.

smile I don't want to sound like I'm complaining or looking for compliments. I just figured I'd be honest about the tools that I'm using on the vocals. There's no shame in using tools to achieve a vocal.

All the same, being lazy about vocals isn't something to crow about, so I figured I'd 'fess up to that.

Credit also goes to BiaB, since I literally just sang along with what it generated.

I was having trouble getting the lead vocal to fit with the background, and my son showed me a cool trick - he did a wide EQ cut centered around 5K, to kill the "clarity" of the background, but keep the body. That helped keep the focus on the lead vocal without having raise the volume of the lead.

That's the kind of thing I never would have thought of.

Quote:
The mix is among the best I've heard on this forum. Far better than most...

Thanks, I'll let him know!

I'm lucky I've got another pair of ears - especially young ones. There's a lot of stuff that I just don't know to listen for, and he's good at explaining most of what he's doing so I can add to my bag of tricks.

And of course, I kept your maxims in mind - make sure the drums are loud enough, and the vocal integrated into the mix.

Thanks again! smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?