Hi all,
I have a strange interesting question.Ive made a Disco song and have followed closely the style and production of "Dancing Queen" from ABBA.This included the final Mastered Wav which had a LUFS of 8.4 which and is what Dancing Queen had on CD.(I intend to do a youtube master of 13 Lufs also)
Two Things:
1:My Wav file Physically was smaller in width(about 8 to 10%) than the Dancing Queen wav even though the measurements were all the same.Why would that be?
2:As an experiment I did three Mastered wavs at different Maximizer values and the most compressed one was the same width as Dancing Queen at about 7.5 Lufs but sounded the best.Is this because the Genre Disco is more condusive to Compression? (because Disco is steady and more equal from start to finish)I heard the boys from ABBA saying they had to compress the hell out of Dancing Queen.
For instance I wouldnt be putting that much compression on any other songs Ive done.
I am not sure whether to go with the 8.4 level equal to Dancing Queen or go with the hotter slightly better sounding one is my delemma
Ps All the track levels and buss levels in the mixing were good and no clipping or red lights and enough headroom was left for mastering.Thanks for any ideas on that urs Hugh