In response to Floyd and HearToLearn about how I record and mix my vocals. First of all, I am by no means an expert. I'm a learner, like all of us here. If anything I share is helpful, use it. If not, ignore it. So here goes...

Nothing fancy to it. That "tutorial" Floyd mentioned and shared a portion of was written several years ago. Like most of you, I have changed some of my ways of doing things over the years, but the most important thing I have tried to hold onto is this: Use your ears.

My Saffire 6 bit the dust a couple of years ago, so now I use a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 that I picked up in a pawn shop for $150. I recently stumbled across a Shure SM27 at the same pawn shop, that I picked up for about $180. I don't have any expensive equipment. The mic is run straight into the 6i6, and from there, straight into the computer.

I bounce back and forth from Logic Pro, Studio One, and occasionally Reaper (mostly just to keep it interesting, and it helps me to keep learning different ways to do things).

Everyone's voice has its own characteristics, so there are no hard and fast rules. I've found for my voice, I cut the low ends (usually below around 150-200hz - really depends on the song), and slightly boost the upper mids, around 1.5-2k. I usually will stack 2-3 compressors to level everything out, and bring out different characteristics that the compressors have to offer. I try to be careful not to over-compress, and by using multiple compressors lightly, that makes it easier. I also will use multiple reverbs at times (sometimes in bus, and sometimes in the vocal channel, itself) - sparingly, unless the song calls for more. And also the same with delays.

The foundation of the voice is in the eq and compression. Reverb and delays are for enhancement, not foundation (unless the song really calls for it).

Another thing that is easy to overlook is the arrangement. I try to arrange the instrumentation so that is doesn't compete with the lead vocals. The song is usually about the vocals, not the instruments. When the arrangement is not competing with the vocals, people actually notice the arrangement more (positively). If everything is competing, people usually don't notice anything at all. smile

Also I try to arrange/mix so that frequencies don't compete too strongly with the lead vocals. All of this takes practice and thinking. But it's really pretty simple...
Record your voice in a quiet environment, at a good (not too hot) level.
Eq your voice to suit your "sound" - flatter your voice with the eq.
This will take practice to get it to sound natural (not too harsh, not too muddy).
Compress (lightly) your voice to level it out, and bring out its character - even its flaws can be positive if done right.
Enhance the voice with a touch of reverb/delay to bring it to life.
Arrange the backing around the voice.

Most importantly - use your ears.
Mix at a lower volume. Don't wear your ears out with only one listen! smile
AFTER you are happy with the mix, turn it up and check it out.

Obviously, there is more to this to make a good vocal mix, but this is the foundation, at least for me. Again, if any of this is helpful to you, good. If not, no worries. The main thing is to keep on writing and playing your music - for your own enjoyment primarily. And if others enjoy it as well, there's nothing wrong with that!

Thanks for putting up with me!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann