Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Then there's the rest of the story. If there was a copy feature that permitted data to be copied between multiple open instances of Band-in-a-Box what data should a user reasonably expect to be copied? Once you consider the possibilities you'll better recognize the difficulty. There is chords, midi, audio, bar settings, tempo, style, RealTracks instruments, midi patches, inserts, key signature and on and on with anything else you could possibly imagine.

Wow, good thinking and really good question, Jim.

My answer would be anything I type and enter for chords or MIDI. This would include:

1. the chordsheet with pushes, holds and shots.
2. Any MIDI I entered for the Melody or Soloist
3. Bar settings

It would NOT include the things that could be set (perhaps differently) in the new file:

1. Tempo
2. Style
3. Key signature
4. Mixer settings including Volume, pan etc., MIDI patches, and RealTracks/Drums selected

Another way to think about it is to use word processing as an example. Suppose I have text I want to copy. I highlight the text and paste it into another program. A plain ASCII text file will go over with no formatting. In the new program, I set the font and work on formatting.

The main point is to avoid loss, or retyping, or things you originally typed in. Adjusting how it is treated can be done in the second program.

But ... What if I copy bars 5 through 8 and in instance 1, bar 5 there is a midi patch change from grand piano to bright piano, should the patch change carryover from instance 1 to instance 2? After all, that is a change I made using the bar settings window.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home