Bob,

To add just one example to this "educational application" you mentioned (and I am sure it applies to most instruments):

Most of the Brent Mason tracks have notation because he records with a Fish midi converter most of the time I believe.

Brent is called by some the "greatest telecaster player alive" and was discovered by Chet Atkins. So, if you are wondering whether the Chet Atkins "train-style" thumb-picking tracks are life-like, well, you are hearing and LOOKING AT (in notation) a guy who has played on Chet Atkins' albums.

For all or most of his tracks, you can press notation and watch what he is doing, see how he plays, what notes he is using, and where, at as slow a tempo as you like: i.e., you can go to the Brent Mason guitar school at your desk.

For a guitarist, it is mind-boggling to consider that you can do this, or learn jazz guitar from say, Oliver Gannon.

This feature alone makes BIAB the most jaw-dropping musical program in the world--and that is just one feature out of 5,000.

I would say the programmers have done a pretty good job. Musicians think so at least. We are stunned.

And yes, over at Meredith College nearby, the music department runs on Band-in-a-Box, I am told.