Originally Posted By: Tangmo
That was largely my impression too, Bud. Hell, I'd LOVE to have had the skills, tools, or outside help to massage most of mine into something similar--just, perhaps, not as much.

I'd have especially loved the "outside help". The worst part about mixing my vocals is that I have to listen to my vocals.

*weeping* I just want to hit the d--n notes! Is that so wrong?

Mercifully I've never even recorded mine smile But my recording of Janice's vocals has been quite a sonic journey for me from our analog bluegrass days (stage and studio) to today with our more Americana bluesy approach. I don't know if my approach would be considered modern or not but FWIW I'll mention it.

- I use Nectar's breath controller to reduce but never eliminate breath intakes.
- I never comp vocals and I don't own a pitch editor...nothing against them at all -- just don't need it.
- 75% of the time I'll double her vocal track and stack them both dead center. For the top track I have a custom Nectar 2 preset with a little reverb, compression and an EQ setting (that I've used for years). On the bottom is another custom Nectar 2 preset that differs from the above with a little delay, no reverb, different compression and some tape saturation. I mix them about 60%/40% regarding gain.

I've always enjoyed pretending I know what the hell I'm doing but folks do seem to like her vocals. And the processing may sound like a lot but there are very, very small doses of the effects.

Bud

PS Apologies for the off topic ramble...