I did for a while expand (explode or whatever the terminology is) stereo into two mono tracks then adjust each. The dual panning in Reaper appears to pretty much do the same and it is far easier. One can put each track (side) of the stereo where you want in the mix from 100% each side to any other place.

The advantages of the dual panning comes when adding plugins, automation or adjusting volume etc. When expanding the tracks in Reaper it does however basically put both sides into a folder under the “original track” so automation etc can be put on the “original” track.

Putting the stereo tracks to mono may help when getting rid or reducing noise such as fret slur (not as drastic as cutting both sides). Also if you want to have different effects on each side but that is not all that common.

I often duplicate the drums track that I pull in from BIAB so I can filter the kick drum and lower toms from the snare and higher end so I can adjust the drums mix a bit. Maybe there is a better way to do this.

I guess we all have our own way of getting the job done.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1