Hi all
W10 update 1809 a word of warning!

After a spot of bother with W10 updates I thought I would tell you what I have found out.
It appears according to multiple sources that windows updates is not quite what it seems, there is a difference between automatic and check for updates manually that you may not Know.

Assuming you have Automatic updates set .
If you check by settings / update & security you will normally see you are up to date last checked on this assumes you are indeed up to date.
This means you have all, the ready for general release updates.

However if you click on check for up dates you may well find there are some.
Be warned these are considered to be early releases. (beta)

The problem is it will now download them and try to install them
It may be ok it may fail or it may install with bugs, if it fails during installation it will unpick itself and roll back to your original version.
If it installs with bugs you have got it and would have to uninstall it manually or restore to an earlier point.
Problem with that is there wont be any earlier restore points if the update is one of the big 6 monthly features up dates as it removes them all as they would be incompatible with the new version.
I found all this out by checking for updates as I had not been offered the W10 new October 1809 features update,
The reason I now know, it is not ready for general release until later this month pos Tues onwards,
As for me well
Installed 1809 on my 2 older machines long job up to 2 hrs
Ok with but usual problems with changing my default sound device and finding other computers on the network but all working now.
On my latest HP all in one it did not install and rolled it self back to 1803 that’s the April 2018 update , this is due to incompatibility to Intel Display Audio. Microsoft are aware of this and have blocked the update from some pcs due for fix Tues 9 Oct.

I guess the moral to all of this is don’t manually check for updates wait for the automatic general release version .assume you allow automatic updates.
This is a pain if you want to check Microsoft updates for drivers etc at any time.
I can only hope if there are any it will tell me on automatic when they are approved,
If you Google w10 1809 feature update problems you may think twice about doing it early.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Head; 10/07/18 03:11 AM.

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/