Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Question arises right away. How do "re-generations" affect changes at bars/ mutes, style changes.

It's the other way around. Each regeneration still follows the changes, holds, shots, parts, and so on that are indicated on the track. BiaB simply has the option of generating a slightly different track using material from the selected RealTrack.

To regenerate a track, go to the instrument, Track Actions, (re)Generate this RealTrack, and then Track Actions, Save track as .WAV file. Each regeneration follows the same changes as indicated by the part markers (A/B) so the verses/choruses have different feels.

However, I generally won't change styles in the BiaB chordsheet. Instead, I'll generate different RealTracks for an instrument. For example, I might generate bass tracks in the styles Bass, Acoustic, Bowed HeldSimple and Bass, Acoustic, Bowed Held. Then in the DAW, I can slice and dice those tracks into a single bass track.

Similarly, I may generate the piano tracks Piano, Electric, Rhythm JazzRock Ev16 100 and Piano, Electric, Rhythm JazzRockHeld Ev16 100. In the DAW, I can slice and dice so the piano switches between held and rhythmic chord tracks. I'll also generate a couple different pianos (acoustic and electric, simple holds and rhythmic) so I have options when I'm arranging the song.

To create a solo, I may generate six or more tracks by the solo instrument. Then I'll build the solo by taking my favorite bits from each solo. The various phrases might not even be in the same order. I may like the first few notes of one phrase, and then glue them onto a different ending.

I also keep an ear out for distinctive patterns. If there's something that I particularly like in one of the tracks, and can copy and paste it throughout the track so it becomes a repeating motif.

These are all things that (for me) make more sense to do in my DAW, rather than BiaB. You can do the same thing in RB, but I happen to be more comfortable with my DAW.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?