Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Dear John,

Thank you for this. I will have someone explore this for me and try to use this on my behalf, because I don't have time to stay on the phone with Network Solutions all day. Thanks again for the nice tip.

Do you know by any chance if Network Solutions allows this? The last time I discussed, I think it was an extra $250 per site and of course THEY wanted to do it/sell it instantly.

I have 5 websites. So that would be a over $1,200 a year in residual recurring revenue income for a plug-in for someone. For doing nothing, of course.

I wonder about the economics of this. Is Google getting a cut from hosting companies? My hosting package from Network Solutions that allows me to have and build 5 websites is $175 a year.

To make all of those "secure" (and they are only informational) would increase my costs sevenfold--for a line of code and a green sticky from Chrome. Thanks!

Hey David! So first I'd say generally Network Solutions sucks because they still charge premium prices for meager services! I just checked them and it appears they do NOT support Let's Encrypt. Obviously this is because they want to keep making money off of every website they host! I have about 60 domains through GoDaddy (they also suck as a host but are fine as a registrar!) and they also do not offer Let's Encrypt support for the same reason.

But there are a lot of shared hosting web hosts who do support Let's Encrypt. I am assuming you are using shared hosting at Network Solutions, right? A decent shared hosting account can usually handle several thousand visitors per day unless you end up on a host that squeezes way too many sites on their servers. But even then, most sites are not getting a lot of traffic so that doesn't necessarily mean you'll have any issues.

If you want to consider moving your websites you can search online for hosts that support Let's Encrypt. And you can still leave your domains at Network Solutions if you want.

One host I like a lot is Pair Networks. For about 6 bucks a month you can host an unlimited number of sites, you get 15 GB of disk space, 75 GB monthly transfer and 15 MySQL Databases. If you wanna use Let's Encrypt you can do so for free. Or, if you want a basic secure certificate with a $10,000 warranty it is $10/year/domain.

https://www.pair.com/webhosting/shared.html

I know moving your sites can be a pain but you could save some dough and get SSL for free or a low cost. Lemme know if you have any further questions.

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 11/01/18 07:47 PM.