Originally Posted By: Mikke - PG Music
Obligatory SM58 plug here!

Interesting to hear about the Sony though. I would never have had thought to even try, they really make good everything don't they.

Yes, I am still debating whether to just stick with the Sony Mid/Side mic for stereo recordings. It sounds really, really good and since its all in one mic it's easy to move around to find a nice spot with out perceived phase cancellations. I have little 1/8" stereo to Left/Right 1/4" adapter to get it onto 2 tracks at once. Keep in mind that with the Mid/Side arrangement the left side includes the center and the right side also includes the center. I can't remove the center. But I can pan the left and center to the left and the right and center to the right. Non-the-less, it sounds very nice like this.
Also, I'm not against SM58s and 57s. I have used and owned them in the past. I don't currently own either one and don't feel the need to since I feel they are the standard of mediocre. I own 2 Beta 58S and a SM86 that, to me, for what I do, I think are at least a grade or 2 above the SM58/57. Even then, for my own voice live I prefer the Sennheiser e838 and when I need supercardoid I grab the AKG 880 Emotion. My wife uses the SM86 and sounds great on it. A Beta 58 is usually in my gig bag as a spare.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?