I'm pretty sure "most" sound hosting sites do in fact convert what you put up there down to 128kbs.

I have noticed an audible degradation of some of my mixes when uploaded and streamed from some of the sites. BUT.... I was also loading 128kbs to start with (back in the day) thinking they would not need to reprocess it. Wrong. Apparently, they convert everything regardless. So I started loading the highest quality files they would permit. In most cases, this is a 320kbs mp3. And yes, I could hear the difference in several aspects of the music.

In the one example, I noticed what sounded like a phased sound on the piano from a 128kbs upload. After reloading with a 320kbs upload, the phasing was gone and the song sounded relatively decent.

I hear the talking points about limited bandwidth.... BUT.... we're talking about 41kbs audio..... really? Somehow, amazingly, it's not a problem to stream a 4K UHD video with multi-channel surround sound audio, but somehow they have problems streaming 41kbs audio? Huh? Give me a break. They have a valid point if they're complaining about storage space on servers..... but I don't hear them making that argument.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 11/12/18 05:47 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.