Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09
Hey folks,

So I am active in a lot of Reddit music and music production-related subreddits, and a fair amount of them have "battle of the bands" type bi-weekly or monthly threads, where they match up teams of four or five members and each contributes either by playing an instrument, supplying vocals, taking responsibility over the production and/or mixdown, and I thought it would be really cool to get something like this up and running with the PG Music community.

I'm not really sure exactly how it would, so I'm soliciting both your overall opinion on having something like this, as well as suggestions regarding how it would go.

So... some time back... in the Cakewalk forums of old.... we would do very similar things from time to time.

To start.... go to the SONGWRITING forum and make your request known there.

You could provide a lyric you have written and ask whoever is interested to write the music to make a song with the lyrics you gave.

I was in 2 such events. The many entries in those 2 events were widely diverse and interesting as well as being exceptionally well done.

Imogen Heap..... I know you're up to it

Imogen provided vocal stems and told anyone who wanted, to use them and provide the music for the song you hear. The results were all over the map musically. THis was one of the few jazz versions. Most were her style of techno.... some rock, and rap, and other things.... strange things.

Missing Person.... acoustic version

This is totally acoustic with only one exception.... the bass was a fretless upright acoustic bass sample played by a midi sequencer. Me and one other guy played and sang all the parts. 12 vocal tracks not counting the dobro, acoustic guitar, mandolin and fiddle. Sorry, I forgot, the fiddle was from a 3rd friend in Vermont. I had BB at the time but my friend in Atlanta insisted on live playing.

another option is to have a topic... or title, and let folks write their own song. Give 2 weeks or one month....from notification or have it finished and posted.

Virtual bands are a fun thing too. Use BB backing only where needed. This requires folks to have the ability to play something other than the radio.

The whole goal is to collaborate and take ones time to do things right. Post only when the song is "right" and is finished. I know we can work fast with BB... and yeah, I've done a song from start to finished in a few hours..... but in something like this.... slow down and have fun.

I like the idea. All you need to do is settle on the idea.... then post in the SONGWRITING forum and see who jumps in. It's fun to collaborate with others.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 11/12/18 06:13 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.