Howdy, folks...

Are there lyrics for songs that you've heard, that you wish you had been the author/authoress of?

If so, why don't you post them, pretty-please, and accompany the post with a little information about why you are so enamoured of the lyrics, what it was about them that delighted and inspired you so???

May I start things off? I can? Gee, thanks, folks!

Here is a set of lyrics that I wish I had written (truth be told, I wish I had composed the song, too!) The music and lyrics were composed for a film titled, The Long Goodbye, which premiered in the year 1973 and was directed by the late Robert Altman, who adapted a detective novel of the same name written by that famous author of detective fiction, Raymond Chandler, his most famous character being Philip Marlowe.

The Long Goodbye / Music by John Williams (yes, that's right, people, the man who composed the score for "Star Wars" / Lyrics by Johnny Mercer

There’s a long goodbye.
And it happens everyday
When some passerby
Invites your eye
To come her way

Even as she smiles
A quick hello,
You’ve let her go.
You’ve let the moment fly

Too late you turn your head,
You know you’ve said
The long goodbye

Can you recognize the pain?
On some other street
Two people meet
As in a dream

Running for a plane
Through the rain
If the heart is quicker than the eye,
They could be lovers
Until they die

It’s too late to try
When a missed hello
Becomes the long goodbye
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, I'm gonna make this quick. How many of you in your lives have shared a possibly mutually interested romantic glance with a man/woman that you blew, messed up, lost, dropped the ball on, because you were 1) too shy 2) too high, or 3) too married?

Regardless of the circumstance, those kinds of missed moments hurt like a toothache because we never stop kicking ourselves internally for not pursuing the opportunity to take quick, decisive action on what could have turned out to be the "love connection" of a life-time.

And that, basically, is why I wish I had written those lyrics, because of the fact that they do so achingly and truthfully describe the emotional, hopeful potency of that lost moment with an immediate and stunning precision. You feel these lyrics deeply because you've lived them.

Here's a link to a YouTube video featuring the song being sung by the great jazz trumpeter/vocalist Jack Sheldon as it was heard in the film and on the film's soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG0ykzh47q8

If you care to hear a woman interpret the lyrics, here is another link to Ms. Clydie King singing "The Long Goodbye", also as heard in the film and on the soundtrack recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU-N2BZMvj4

Thanks for your attention, folks! All right, now! Who's next? Give it up! Show us "the money"!!!

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")

Last edited by bluage; 11/21/18 06:45 PM.

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".