Recently I was pondering what might be the favorite music genres in the US. We typically see data based on sales, streams or surveys that ask questions like “what music best represents the US.” However, I was interested in the results of a statistically valid survey that asked “what is your preferred music genre.” Additionally, I was not interested in data broken out by ethnicity, age, gender, etc.

I found sparse information until I ran across a CBS News poll done in January of this year (there is a pdf on the net that gives the sample size, margin of error, etc.). The result is surprising — at least to me.

I fully realize that the data can and will be picked apart by disagreeing with how they named the genres and what they left out (Americana, Blues, Indie, Singer Songwriter, etc.) And the biggest caveat is that they polled adults only, i.e., 18 and up.

Regardless I find it interesting; however, I never forget what Disraeli said and Mark Twain quoted : ”There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." smile