Quote:

Each midi track allows you to drag and drop the synth into it's effects slot and then the output is treated like audio and have effects added right there.

This is like Tracktion. A track is a track. If you put midi data into that track, then it expects you to do something with the midi data - like send it outboard or put a VSTi on the output of that track. Then you simply add whatever VST or bus after the VSTi. No limit. If you put audio into that track, then it expects you to treat it like audio. You don't even have to mess with midi channel assignments if you just stick with midi input on that track (you can send midi from other tracks to that track if you want, and then you need to sort out midi channels.).

Tracktion also has a master effects 'slot' dedicated. No need to add it, no need to think it's like anything but a master effects. It's the final stage in the signal chain before things go to analog.

The point I was trying to make is that folks crow about how economical PTPA is or RB is compared to the 'big boys', but if you add the sum total of what they've had to pay yearly in upgrades to get features that begin to resemble the 'big boys' DAW you are at the entry price and higher for those 'big boys' - well, at least some of them.

There are other affordable DAW softwares which have these feature sets included up front. Granted, they are not auto-accomp. and composition tools like RB and BIAB. I like the melding of BIAB and PTPA features into RB, but I still can't see myself going there without good ol' VSTi implementation as I am used to.

There is a new DAW software that looked attractive to me at first, Studio One, from PreSonus, but they've chosen to handcuff their entry level version of this software ($99 I believe) so that it won't use VSTi. You have to pay for that capability in the upgraded version. Bad call I believe.

-Scott