Thanks chulaivet1966, Matt, and Steve.

SyncToy was never installed on this computer, so it wasn't possible to uninstall. But that is a time tested way of fixing stubborn problems.

.NET framework can no longer be uninstalled without making a lot of changes in the registry (or so I read), something I'm reluctant to do.

I'm continuing the searching other forums without having to register. I dislike having to register to fix one problem, never needing to go back again, and having my identity there forever. This does 2 things, makes my password manager list way to long, hiding the things I use often, and leaves my digital fingerprint on that site available for crackers (nefarious hackers).

So while googling other forums (actually I use Startpage.com because it doesn't track me) I found this gem:

1) Control panel
2) Programs and features (been there many times for this problem)
3) Here is where I didn't know to go Turn Windows Features On Or Off - I've never had an occasion to use this before

When I got there, I get the "Do you want to allow Microsoft to make changes" - I replied "yes" and lo and behold, .NET Framework 4.7 Advanced Services is checked but .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) is not.

So I set a system restore point and click the unchecked box, Microsoft says it needs to download some files, which took about 15 minutes, then installed them, and said it was finished.

So I clicked "Close" went back to my SyncToy download and it worked!!!

Thanks again for your generous help and suggestions. I love new computers but setting them up requires more time and patience than I want to give them.

Bob

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks