Originally Posted By: rharv
Try the Trim knob in the VST(i) window.

Anything right of straight up 12 makes it clip.

Quote:
It is also possible to put PGPeakLimit on the track and have a peak limiter boost the output of the synth.

Sure is! Should I have to? Can't they write this where all those hoops are not necessary?

Quote:
Also, having to pan things to a certain side to hear your synth hints that your synth output is on the other side .. why? Generally a VST synth would record centered and in stereo.

I didn't think I said anything about panning. I said that I have to drop the RB created audio tracks down to -24db in order for my real time play on a VST synth to be heard. Again, I shouldn't have to do that. Everything I record in MIDI data is dead center as there is no other option until converting to audio and doing any panning desired. I want to be able to play along with the VST to learn what I want to record and not have to be a one take guy. I am rarely if ever a one take guy. More like a 25 take guy. I don't play all that well anymore. (frownie face)

Quote:
If you are in RB (the above assumes you are), are you using MONO or Stereo tracks when you record?

Huh? Whatever it generates is what I am playing against. When I DO add manual tracks, they are always mono. I suspect you are speaking to manually added tracks.

Quote:
Does the input signal in the VU match the side you are recording? (L/R)

I don't know what you are asking there. I am recording MIDI data at this point so there is no left or right, which your use of "side" indicates.

Quote:
Which VST synth are you trying to use?

One of like a dozen, and at this point the levels issue is across the board, so that's kind of moot. The template I have set up is a piano, an organ, a string section, 2 vocal sections (male and female), a drum machine, and a couple of synths for some unique sounds they can produce.

Quote:
How do you play the VST synth?

I don't know how to respond to that other than to say on an M-Audio MK3 keystation. How many ways are there to play a VST?

Quote:
Does it happen after recording the track (during playback) also?

I generally convert them to audio because I have to do that for them to be available for editing. And I would do that anyway for portability. I use the VSTs for specific sounds I want, and if I recorded tracks and left them as MIDI tracks when I sent the song to Rog for his wizardry, he would have to have the exact same VSTs to be able to mix me, or use substitutions, and I want the sounds I used.

At this point I would be happy just if my internal metronome worked. I used to have a sidestick click me in. That just stopped working one day, months, maybe years ago. I changed no settings, did nothing at all except hit R to record one day and there was no count in. Even now having upgraded to 2019, that has not changed. No clickee trackee. (Yeah, I could use your click track idea, buy as I have asked software manufacturers for years, why should I have to? After paying what to me is a lot of money for this - since I don't make money with it to earn it back - everything is supposed to work. Click track, VU meters... all of it. It's supposed to work and not require duct tape workarounds for provided functions. That is like a word processing program suddenly not being able to print, and the fix is "Copy the text and past it into another program and print from there." No. Fix the deficiency.) If it never worked I would not be as offended. The fact that it worked and just stopped working one random day is what gets the short hairs on the back of my neck up. And when everybody's idea of fixing it is always "reset to default" I get even more perturbed. Ideally, software should NEVER have to be "reset". Resetting things is failure for an IT guy. You are one of those IT guys so you understand that concept. I shudder to think about how many hard drives get wiped and an OS reloaded because the technician was either too lazy or incapable of troubleshooting to find what caused the issue. I was the 2nd kind of tech. I would spend 8-10 hours locating a problem when a format and reload would have taken 1. I don't even own a white flag!!

Hope you are well up there and have recovered from the beating the Buckeye Nation laid on That School Up north.

Last edited by eddie1261; 12/11/18 02:32 PM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.