I can answer part of the question, assuming you're running Windows.

First, you'll want to install the ASIO4All driver. This is a low-latency audio driver. Without it, audio will be routed through Window's default audio processing path, which will add a delay between you playing a note, and the note sounding:

Next, you'll want to set the controller up in BiaB, as well as setting ASIO as your driver, and change the default instrument that sound when you play the controller to be something better than the default MIDI instrument, because it doesn't respond to breath pressure:

1. Plug in the breath controller so it's active
  2. Launch BiaB
  3. In the menu, choose Options | MIDI/Audio Driver Setup to open the dialog.
  4. In the MIDI Input Driver list, choose the controller (ex: USB-EWI) by double clicking it
  5. Click Use VSTi/DXi Synth
  6. Click Route MIDI Through MIDI Driver
  7. Click the button under Route MIDI Through MIDI Driver to bring up the VST/Synths/Plugins (synth in first slot) dialog.
  8. Notice that Default Synth is selected. This means you're setting the default synthesizer the BiaB plays when you play your controller.
  9. In the first dropdown of the Plugin list, choose the plugin player (Aria, Kontakt, or whatever you're using).
  10. If BiaB doesn't see your plugin, choose Add VSTi plugin from the list, and find your plugin. Where the plugin is located depends on the plugin you're using.
  11. Note that the second item in the dropdown says Forced MIDI Chan=1, which is good.
  12. Insert the instrument into the player
  13. Click the [X] in the dialog window to close it
  14. Click Audio Settings... button
  15. Under Audio Driver Type, choose ASIO to open the ASIO Audio Driver dialog box
  16. In the Select one ASIO Device, choose ASIO4ALL v2 by double-clicking
  17. Make sure Resampler Quality is set to Fast, or you'll still have a delay
  18. Click OK to close the ASIO Audio Driver dialog
  19. Click OK button to close the Audio Setting dialog

If this works, you should be able to play MIDI notes with your wind controller using BiaB, and hear the sound of your VSTi when you play it.

Now, here's the catch - the sound you set for your controller isn't the sound assigned to the MIDI track! That is, it's the sound you'll hear when you play the controller, but not necessarily the sound you get when you play back the recording of the track. For that, BiaB uses the instrument assigned to the track. To change the instrument assigned to the track, it's similar to setting the Default Synth sound:

1. Click the Plugins tab of the Mixer
  2. On the melody instrument, click the first [None] to open the VST/Synths/Plugins (synth in first slot) dialog pops up
  3. In the first dropdown of the Plugin list, choose the plugin player (Aria, Kontakt, or whatever you're using).
  4. Insert the instrument into the player

I've never tried doing this before, so perhaps I've missed some simple way to hear the sound assigned to the track while you're recording. Hopefully someone else knows..?

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?