Donna,

Thanks for having a listen. And the nice words. And the suggestion.
I have known MAB (Marc) since about 1994 (back when he thought he was going to be the next big thing). We ran in the same circles for many years, knew many of the same people, though our paths did not cross all that often (it seemed like he sort of "disappearred" for a few years in that period). I "know and understand" and appreciate the concept of the "modern independent woman". I am well versed in what does and doesn't work in Nashville.

This song was not written intended for "the Nashville market". I view it more as "an artist song".

I don't believe that those lines imply any kind of sexism. The song is not implying that that is "her job" in any way. It's just what she does. I generally make the bed in our house. The few times that I am up first, I make the coffee. I do, in fact, make all the meals we eat (my wife would readily tell you, I''m a better cook than she is - and she's pretty good).

The fact that SHE (the she in the song) makes the coffee and the bed is just a nice thing that she chooses to do. And something that the singer seems to appreciate. It's showing that she has made herself a part of his life - doing things that he would have done himself before... It's still nice that people do things for each other regardless of what that might be and who is doing the doing. It's a connection. It's showing love. In the little things.

Floyd,
Yes, I was pretty certain that's how you meant it as a caring thing. But the words sort of jumped out at me and I was wondering if another female might misinterpret it thinking girlfriends and wives don't wait on men these days and aren't the housemaid. MAB helped me with my lyric writing several years ago and critiqued quite a few of my songs. He would always say I know you're not writing for Nashville, but Nashville is the "gold standard of good writing". He always looked for things that would make the song sound out dated or might alienate half of the audience by misinterpretation. He'ld say you can't get away or say that in today's environment. He was brutally honest about my writing and didn't mince words but I did learn a lot and it made me more aware of the effect of words. Love your song though and thanks for clarifying your intention!!

Last edited by Belladonna; 12/19/18 06:59 PM.