Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

It's a crying shame when you have to defend the songs you write with long explanations that you didn't write a sexist song. Imagine the Rolling Stones apologizing for writing Under My Thumb...they certainly would have caught more static these days, as it was they were ostracized back then as I recall.

As Dylan said... the times they are a changing.

Herb,

There is a really easy way to deal with this phenomenon of "songwriting advice."

One way that has worked really well for me is this: if the person giving me advice were Mick Jagger or Bob Dylan, I would be listening really hard. If it is not, I am probably tuning out and going to my happy place.

The second is to consider Dylan himself. When Infidels came out (one of my favorite albums of all time) a radio announcer introduced the first hit it by saying:

"So pop music has been changing rapidly this decade and Bob Dylan appears not to have heard anything that's on the radio in the last ten years, or just doesn't give a damn. In either case I am glad. Here is his new masterpiece: Jokerman."

If being completely obtuse to current musical trends or advice from others is good enough for Bobby Dylan it's good enough for me.