WOW,
it's a great sounding song.
IF I were to to offer commentary/suggestions re the recording I'd say that I think the 12 string sounding guitar over to the side is a little phasey & fizzy plus I'm not convinced by the lead tone for the setting. These things are minor and have no impact I'm sure.
I understand the concern about the lyric as noted by others - there are at least two sides to a story or a position. It's not a matter of P.C., renaissance or unreconstructedness but of writing perspective.
Personally, if I'd written the words I'd be inclined to change "my" bed, "my" coffee to "our" and a few other things but I didn't write them & wouldn't have because I don't write from that general perspective and for all the other personal experience, etc., reasons.
The lyrics, as written, seem to be comfy within FJ's oeuvre and his explanation of his perspective, if needed by a listener/reader, is much more than a listener is due.
Dylan's Infidels, his 1st release after his god bothering phase, included Union Sundown which is a great example of near unconscious, as opposed to subconscious, lyric - the 1st 41 seconds of vocal melody are voiced as de dah dum dum then a half thought through chorus is added. The choice of words can make or break a song for the listener. I think Knopfler may still have been to in awe of the famously curmudgeonly fellow.
Many folk don't give a rat's about lyrics so long as the melody is compelling. Other folk dissect lyrics looking for clues to the writer or the deeper message. FJ did write "Comments welcome. Have at it." so I'm glad Belladonna added a perspective. I know I offered my own. FJ thanked her for her comment and addressed the issue raised as gently and courteously as they were raised. Credit is due to the pair for not being thinned skinned or combative.
It's a great sounding song.

Last edited by rayc; 12/21/18 05:21 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe