Hi everybody,

the end of the year is already in sight, so here’s my last 2018 post.

Those of you who have watched any of my videos might think that I’m always having the time of my life, but as you know: Where there is light, there is also shadow. And I’m sure that those of you who are 65 or older know that life isn’t all beer and skittles all the time anymore.

I wrote this song about one year ago and it refllects the way I felt then: Man, I’m getting really old and there’s not much I can do about. So, it’s not one of my fun songs, but luckily I wrote quite a few of those after that dark period. And you will soon understand who's the one who makes me appreciate every single day regardless of all health problems.

When I made the video to it, I thought that I should add some positive aspects, so it’s got a somewhat lomgher (sorry, rayc) and funnier intro and I managed to integrate some bars of the very first song I ever wrote (must have been in 1976). Which gave me the opprtunity to also show some of the members of my then band as they look now. So, if you’re not feeling like watching the whole thing and want to get right on to the beef: fast forward to 2:00.

Nothing's Easy Anymore (video & lyrics)
Nothing's Easy Anymore ((MP3 & lyrics)
Nothing's Easy Anymore (MP3 on Soundcloud)

Before I get to the musical details of it, I’d like to say some very personal things: I’m pretty new to this wonderful forum and although it has turned out to be a very time-consuming job to keep track of all those excellent songs and lovely posts, it also turned out to be one of the best things that happened to me in 2018. I’m not only pleased and impressed by the sympathetic, positive and constructive way you all communicate, but also by the impartiality towards any genre of music that’s being presented here.

Not only have I got to know very sympathetic and likeable songwriters and musicians of almost consistently very high standards, I have also learned an awful lot by listening to your songs and reading your posts carefully - I’m really grateful for that. And I’d also like to thank those of you who took the time to give my songs a listen and their always very kind comments.

So I’m really looking forward to the year ahead which will undoubtedly bring another giant basket of great songs of all genres.

I really wish a very Merry Christmas and all the best to all of you.

Stefan

--------------------------------------------------------

Now here are the musical details:

Style is _SHOUT.STY ( Big Band Shout 11-part Horns)

RealTracks in style: ~~481:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Ballad Sw 085
RealTracks in style: ~~487:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Jazz Ballad Sw 085
RealTracks in style: ~~557:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Jazz Ballad Freddie Sw 085 ('B' only)
RealDrums in style: JazzBrushes: a: Brushes Swirling b: Brushes Busier

As you will probably notice I did not use the BigBand track the way it was generated automatically. Instead, I re-generated it over and over again, cutting out small snippets and then put them together. Took me days before I was halfways satisfied - my mom would have called it ‘a task for people who killed their moms and dads’ - something like a chain-gang job... But, man, did I like it!

Unlike it’s shown in the video where I gave an old Framus semi the chance to at least be visually presented, I recorded the guitar solo using my Fender Jeff Beck Signature, that old tiny Fender amp and increasingly arthritic fingers.

Like always my treasure Maha took care of the sound and the mixing - I don’t exactly know what she did, but I sure like it! And I’m very grateful for her sensivity towards my songs.

I’ll be very happy if you enjoy the song and/or the video at least a bit - thanks for listening and watching.

Last edited by Crossroads; 12/21/18 03:00 AM.