Donna:

I gotta get this out my "craw": I wish I could write lyrics as you do. They are as inevitable and orderly as breathing in, breathing out. They communicate almost immediately the subject matter of your songs, and they tell stories as easily as opening a kitchen window to hear what's going on over at your neighbor's house, but without being excessively linear in narrative.

"If Karma Were Flowers" is a beautiful title, literarily speaking, and as barbed as a rose stem, metaphorically speaking. The subject of your song who is on the receiving end of your politely poisionous put-downs sounds like a real charmer with a mirror for a heart. But, then again, it's the "bad boys" who so often get the girl that they make "nice" guys wish they were bad, too!

Nonetheless, my favorite lines are:

"Hot summer nights and fire-flies..." A vivid evocation of place. And then:

"You would always spin my whines..." Character, character, character. Is there a novel waiting to be born out of this song? Also:

"I'd wire a bouquet of sours
Cold dried crispy crunch..."
Loving the alliteration, here!

The final image of you licking your romantic wounds on some island hide-away, brings as much closure as an open door, because you only instruct him not to call you on the phone, instead of asking him to leave you alone. Hmmmm... laugh

You chose a simple BIAB style, but its very spareness perfectly supports the lonesome, weary, "I've had enough of you, bub" tone in your voice.

When all is said and done, Donna, "If Karma Were Flowers" is like a snapshot of a relationship that can only be viewed in the upside-down position, which makes the picture worth more than the proverbial "thousand words".

I look forward to your posts like someone waiting for a phone call!

Truly,

LOREN

Last edited by bluage; 01/02/19 10:49 AM.

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".