Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Janice, Bud & Floyd,

A good hard hitting clear eyed write.There`s some Woody Guthrie in the uncompromising lyrics.
The chorus is outstanding - posing the listener that question that gets to the heart of those stories.
I really like the gentle opening and the whole accompaniment is spot on. Very good harmonies and then, of course, Janice sounding like she lived through those times a little.
I`m on the fence with the modulations - they are a bit surprising; need another listen,
but its a fine fine song.

Robert

Thanks Robert. It’s interesting that you mentioned Woody Gutherie. I had not thought of that.

We appreciate your kind remarks regarding the write, the arrangement, the harmony and Janice’s vocal. She does “live” the songs she sings.

Hey, maybe I can get you off the fence with the modulations smile

The modulations are intended to “wake up your ear.” We felt that In this case, it is especially important that the listener be “woke up” – these are issues to be reckoned with – and it is easy to be lulled into a “comfortable place” if it flows too well for too long - Janice’s voice can have that effect smile And with no solo or bridge we felt they were even more needed. Actually the “abruptness” that some have mentioned was the intended effect.

Best to you and yours for 2019 and on and on!

J&B