I've been getting a lot of spam lately telling me my account has been hacked and wanting me to pay them in bitcoins.

They say they have been filming me with my computer's camera while I was watching inappropriate comment and if I don't pay, they will expose me.

Well, first of all, I don't have a camera on my computer, secondly I read about this scam a couple of months ago in PC Magazine, and thirdly, there was another thread here some time ago from people who got this scam before me (I think Joanne Cooper gave us the first heads-up - thanks).

There are a lot of people out there that want to part you from your money. Doing it via spam is easy because it doesn't cost them hardly anything. They buy a list of e-mail addresses, send out zillions of spams, and if one in a thousand recipients are fooled, they can make tons of money.

It's good to be aware, to never click a link in unexpected e-mail, to ask your friends before clicking a link, to have a good AV app on your computer, to add MalwareBytes to your protection, and to keep full backups including some older ones.

There is nothing you can do to keep yourself 100% safe, but by being careful, you can minimize your risk down to 1% or less.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks