There is good use for both old and new technology. The thing to do is to find out what combination works best for you in the situation you are faced with.

Because it's new, doesn't mean the technology should completely replace the old. In many cases they coexist nicely. Example: On the gig sometimes I use the acoustic sax (old tech) and sometimes the Wind Synthesizer (new tech) depending on the needs of the song. I even use the synth for sax parts on some songs because it's better for that song. Example: Acoustic guitars were not replaced but newer technology electric ones.

Opening a fake disk song in BiaB and reading the melody out of the book has its advantages, besides for saving thousands of dollars. In the book, the melody is usually available without turning pages. The BiaB screen updates and you can only see the number of bars that are displayed on the screen. On paper I can see the entire arrangement before starting to play, the DS or DC, the Coda, the repeats, and I also get expressive commands like ppp or ff, crescendos or diminuendos, words like dolce or sweetly, time signature changes, and other information lacking in BiaB.

There are those who love this arrangement better, and I'm sure some who wish the music publishers would allow melodies and lyrics to be put on BiaB at an affordable price.

There is more than one way to make music, and what is right for one, may or may not be right for another.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks