Hi all

Well what flavour of gm do you like?
Do you want to work within the computer or are you prepared to send your midi out to an external synth and sound system, and forgo in the box rendering via vsti etc.

I in fact do both, on my big boys system I have a 24inch all in one high spec pc, sitting on the music stand on the top of and running midi to and from my Yamaha CVP 405. This gives me a high quality GM set other Yamaha midi voices over 800 of them including a full XG set and Panel voices.
All playing through the Pianos sound and speaker system.
I run a pat file in BIAB that I wrote to give me access to all of these via high bank settings and selection.

However on my workhorse system on my high spec laptop I use a midi controller keyboard this of course has no internal voices.
To maintain a good degree of compatibility between the 2 systems I use the Yamaha xg lite VSTi that I put on the forum and its pat file. As my default vst
This gives me a fairly good set of matching voices for roughing out and making quick
On board renders
So I guess what I am saying is try to use as near midi vst or external as you hope to finally hear the song through.(pre rendering to audio if at all!)

Yes I know all gm is supposed to be the same, but believe me the same gm set on Yamaha , Korg , or Roland sound quite different for the same patch number.
In the end its down to personal choice and to a certain extent what you have got used to from your own keyboard.
Most of all have fun and enjoy your music.
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/