There is no doubt the ability to read is a great thing. The ability to feel is also a great advantage. IMHO there are times when the ability to read outweighs the ability to feel playing in a military type band or a symphony orchestra one could probably get by with little feel but to read is important. Playing country music reading is probably not that important but the ability to feel and understand is. Similar to blues to be able to read dots and play like a machine puts a dampener of the music.

I lived in a town that had a music training facility for army musicians. They could all read dots really well. However few of them were ever asked to play in the local club type bands because read is what they did, not feel. I must say however those that did play in local bands were by and large excellent musos.

To have someone play blues, rock or country with feeling is what it is about. I would think with jazz it would depend on the band but once again I believe feeling is paramount.

People that can both feel and read with a great sense of loyalty would be the most useful but they are not that easy to find.

My thoughts I may be wrong but it’s how I see it.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 01/25/19 02:16 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1