Originally Posted By: Rain1
thanks for replying to my question, chaps!

..... the answers that I have read are contradictory.

I contacted cdbaby and they confirmed that they thought that this meant I could NEVER monetize my music on YouTube (which is written, performed and produced entirely by myself with a few guest performers and some BIAB real tracks, no other samples or unacknowledged writers – 2 tracks are co-writes). For this reason it has put me off using BIAB for released tracks, which is a shame as I think it is brilliant.

When I say the post on an ad from a publisher on Songlink, I thought, here we go, I can’t ever send my tracks off to publishers as backing tracks which is also a drawback.
I would love to be able to monetize my music, or to not feel that I have ‘cheated’ somehow.
Cdbaby has put all of the tracks on youtube themselves anyway (but with no monetization of course.)
This is my confusion. Any other experiences from anyone please?

(I will look up the links you have sent me everyone, thanks.)

yep... you can easily get contradictory info so you really have to do your own research.

co-writes are another thing. While I like to do co-writes, it's really a pain to get those songs published. Great example, I found what sounded like a hot opportunity for a film/TV placement and the song fit the listing to a "T". However, the other writer didn't want to commit to an exclusive deal. End of story, the song couldn't be submitted.

Regarding the whole monetize the tunes on YouTube, you might have to contact the company and explain things to them but if you own the rights, no one else can monetize the songs and they have to, by law, monetize them in your name. How much red tape you'll have to jump through is another story.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.