The standard advice found here and elsewhere is for audio PCs to set the processor power to minimum and maximum = 100%. I have always done that until recently but my computer started to give a constant high-pitched whine. I checked the CPU processor temperature and it was running at 200 degrees Fahrenheit. That's too high. [Aside: I've built all my own computers for thirty-five years and I know something about thermal paste, fans, CPU cooling etc.].

So, I lowered the minimum and maximum processor percentage to 80% and the CPU temperature dropped to 100 degrees within minutes. The whine also stopped immediately.

I then experimented raising the percentages of both minimum and maximum until the CPU temperature reached 140 degrees, which turned out to be a processor power setting of 84% on my system. I'm comfortable running at that temperature, and I don't notice any slowdown.

-----------------------------------------------------------

For anyone who isn't sure what I'm talking about, on Windows 10 follow steps that should look something like these. They may differ depending on what you have already set:

Open Control Panel
Power Options
Choose or create a Custom power profile
click on Change the Plan Settings
[while you are there, Display and Sleep should both be set to Never, or a long time]
Click on Change Advanced Power Settings
Click to expand Processor Power Management
Click to expand Minimum Processor State
If that is very low, like 5, raise it to 90 or so
Click to expand Maximum Processor State
Make that the same number you chose for Minimum

Also, while you are there, check other entries in that power settings area, such as making sure USB Selective Suspend is Disabled. Windows Update will on occasion make its own changes in these settings, thinking it knows best.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors