Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
From a mountain biking (not road riding) perspective unless one is disabled I’m unalterably opposed to them. We builld and maintain local trails and motorized vehicles are not allowed on them. An e-bike is an electric motorcycle. Other than that I feel pretty good about them smile

for the longest time all the mountain bike youtube channels I follow have been very negative about e-bikes. But recently I've seen some very positive reviews. There is a young australian who is apparently a world class trail competitor. Recently an amateur on an e-bike beat him. That raised some eyebrows.

on a related note:
Elon Musk has said that we are already getting closer to becoming androids, because we use all manner of technology to enhance our performance. Only the bandwidth of how quickly we can assimilate the data keeps us from being full fledged superhumans. E-bikes are an example of enhanced performance, because they aren't really electric motorcycles, they are pedal assist (the motor only works when you pedal, but it magnifies the force of your pedaling in direct proportion to your effort. If you pedal lightly you get minimal additional torque, if you pedal vigorously, you get a more robust response). A good rider who has maxed out due to physical limitations can go to another level. Interesting thought, and kind of addicting once you experience a boost in performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oQI34zyWfs