Originally Posted By: edshaw
Well, all right, Eddie. If you feel that strongly about it, I'll refrain from posting my versions of public domain hymns, none of which I intended to pass off as my original composition. I have no interest in debating the finer points of copyright definitions which could develop into something that might discourage, among others, my friends here in the forum, to whom I remain indebted for countless incidents of feedback and knowledge provision.

now we're starting to get ridiculous. Songs that are obviously no longer covered by a copyright as in PUBLIC DOMAIN songs are not included in this "prohibited by PG" category. The rules as posted say no copyrighted songs. As in the copyright is still valid.

If you want to cover a copyrighted song, you are free to do so IF.... you own the right to license the song and have bought the proper license and paid your fees to the owner of the copyright. Several folks have done that here in the past. To be legit, you simply post the license number in your OP....

However, MOST, but not ALL hymns are now public domain and you are free to cover them as you wish.

BTW: PG isn't the only site that doesn't want covers of copyrighted songs posted.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.