Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
I personally don't expect to see a "letter of the law" response to forum rules until somebody does something that is prosecutable, and some attorney starts to give PGMusic a bunch of grief.

In the strictest definition, every cover posted is prosecutable. Now, WOULD anybody do that, I doubt it because these covers are not presented for sale, thus no revenue is generated that the original composer would be due a cut.

However, my initial post was essentially this.

If you have a rule, enforce it. If you aren't going to enforce it, remove it. Seems that everybody wants to post their favorite country oldie that they used to perform 30 years ago "down to the VF Dubya." The past is done. I also don't watch old movies of me playing baseball in high school 50 years ago. I was very good. Then. I was also 17. Then. I am not 17 anymore. "Glory days, how they pass you by, glory days".....

Just start another forum specifically saying "Post covers here" rather than the vague "Look what I found on Youtube" or whatever they call it. I don't know the name of the forum because I have never gone into it, largely due to my dislike and disdain for cover tunes.

There may also be some international issue, as an extremely high percentage of the works being covered are covered under Copyright in the USA, and they are in Canada.

You ever seen those ads on TV for those services that send you food and step by step directions and you then "cook" the meal? I put on Facebook that I consider that to be the "copy band of cooking". You aren't cooking anything. You are being the hands for someone else cooking it. I take the same view about playing someone else's music. Just like writing music that sucks and I throw it away, I have cooked some HORRIBLE meals because I don't use recipes. I make up my own. On the other hand, I have come up with about 4 dozen of my own recipes that are amazing. I wish I could say that about my writing.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.