Ok glad to hear that it seems to be fixed. I still want to respond to clarify my points.

Quote:

I didn't have any plugins enabled. Just the MS Wavetable for MIDI cuz this was just sort of a test song file I had BiaB generate.

So you can confirm that if you run Band-in-a-Box from your new folder the CPU spikes don't happen, but if you run Band-in-a-Box from the OLD folder the spikes DO happen. (that would definitely be useful information by itself). With your new bbw you are using the GS Wavetable and not using a DXi synth, if I understand what you said (?) If that's the case it certainly DOES seem like a plugin you were using is responsible for this, or at least aggravating the problem.

Quote:
It was spiking all over the place when it was distorting really badly

What was spiking... overall CPU usage? Next time that happens, look to see what individual process is spiking and you might have your answer.

Quote:
I don't have Bluetooth or wifi on this machine. I can disconnect the Network adapter easily enough, but I'll bet that isn't the problem. Because, once again, I didn't used to have this problem prior to 2019. So I dunno why the network adapter should suddenly cause problems.

A couple things: (1) If you installed 2017 (into a different folder) and compared with 2019 with default settings I would be surprised if you noticed that significant a difference in CPU usage. i.e. I think it is more likely that something on your system changed or some setting in the program. But you could confirm that easily enough by installing 2017 and trying it.

(2) There are definitely reasons why network related activity could contribute to problems with audio playback. I don't see why you wouldn't just eliminate the possibility... you've probably already spent countless hours doing complicated things, all I suggested is one simple test.

But you're right, if it isn't broken...

Andrew
PG Music Inc.