Hi Charlie,

I hope you find it fun and useful. It may seem pretty elementary to an accomplished guitar player. I think it may be more difficult than meets the eye to play very slowly in exact time. Even simple stuff can and does present challenges for anyone.

I still struggle with identifying every note on the guitar neck. Yes, given a second or two I can figure it out. That does not get one very far as tempo increases.

I was using HSBEV Demo (All Real Tracks Country with Held simple Bass). Key of C 85BPM.

As it has a pretty classic Key of C progression, it is easy to play and understand and stays in key.

After messing around with the root note starting points I described, one can go on to use notes from several common scales to form melodies.

C Major Scale C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C

Chords in C major..C,Dm,Em,F,G,Am,Bdim Just so everyone understands, these are the chords that only contain the notes in the C scale

G Mixolydian G,A,B,C,D,E,F,G (Same as C major, just starting on G)

A minor pentatonic A,C,D,E,G

A Natural Minor Scale A,B,C,D,E,F,G,A Also called the relative minor of C major

As you look at the scales and chords above, it is apparent they all contain the same or sub sets of the same notes.

Another thing that happens when doing this sort of thing is one becomes able not only to recognize the note name on a certain fret but correlate the name and position with the sound. At that point your hand knows just where to go to make that sound and you don't even have to think about it.

Sorry, I did not mean to get to deep into theory....lol

I remember a concert piano player who lived above me in France. She use to practice twice a day for one and a half hours. She would always start out with simple things slowly and progress to crazy fast complex stuff.

I put some sheet music from Robert Johnson on her piano one day. It was scary what came out of that piano. I felt like we must be standing at the crossroads and the devil was about to show up any second now....lol

Cheers,

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 03/02/19 01:56 PM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo