Hi All,

Apologies for the newbie questions, but I'm completely new to all things technical and vocal. My 12 year old son is the lead singer of a band at school. The guitarists and drummer obviously have kit at home to practice with, but we'd like to get him a microphone and stand with an amp or something, so he can practice his vocals at home.

He sometimes forgets not to move around when he's singing and the school tend to set them up with a fixed mic, so his voice isn't always captured. We thought by having a small set-up at home it might help him figure out what works for him with regards to his mic technique and ensuring he can always be heard. He also takes singing lessons and sings as part of a chamber choir so the mic set-up would be useful for all of his vocal practice.

We have no idea what to buy. Having researched microphones the Shure SM58 seemed to be a good option so I've ordered one of those from a music store, but beyond that we're lost. What cables, amp, etc should we get? Does the mic plug straight into the amp? Any help you could all provide would be much appreciated!!

TIA