<<< The forum says they must be your own work. No covers. >>>

No. Read it again and read the complete statement of two sentences. They are connected and together become the whole.

"The songs must be originals, no copyrighted or "cover" songs. You must have all of the rights to the songs."

What if I created directly and personally by me; not a copy or imitation; not dependent on other people's ideas; inventive and unusual; the first or earliest; existing from the beginning a song composition. This song I created meets the standard definitions to be considered an original song composition.

Part One of the four regulation requirements to post a song on the User Forum has been met.

Part Two of the four regulation requirements is I record the song and therefore it's not a "cover" of someone else's work. Part two requirement has been met.

Part Three of the four regulation requirements is so far, composing, recording, arranging and producing the work, I have all of the rights to the song. Part Three requirement has been met.

Part Four of the four regulation requirements is I copyright the song. OOOOPS!!! Regulation is clear -- No copyrighted songs. I can't post...… Of course I can. The intent of the regulation is actually clear even though the copyright wording is ambiguous. The law usually defers to common meaning and would include copyright with cover wording and treat the two words together.

____

I sold a 'song' several years ago. I wrote this song around 1970, early 71. I copyrighted this song with US Copyright in 1974 or early 75. I recorded this song with a band in 1975 and commercially released the album mid year 1975. Approximately 2017, I sold this song to a Record Company. I received a lump sum payment and agreement to receive quarterly royalty payments if my percentage of sales exceeds $25. The contract is for 7 years. The record company owns everything about that song. All media sources of production, arrangement, fair use, every source of income, etc, etc, etc worldwide for the seven year period of the contract. I can't reissue the original album without either securing the record company's permission and paying for the use of the song to be included on the album it was originally released on all those years ago. The record company has re-mastered the original recording and their use of the recording and song uses the original mix, artists, album artwork, songwriter (me) and all credits, etc involved with that original commercial release.

The record company owns the original, in it's original format and every format it can be duplicated or replicated in past, present or future for the term of the contract.

If the record company chose to use a PGMusic product to remaster the recording and then joined this forum. THE RECORD COMPANY MEETS EVERY REQUIREMENT OF THE POSTING REGULATION TO LEGALLY POST THAT SONG ONTO THE USER SHOWCASE. I can't do that with the same song. They use the song in its original form, using the original recorded release I wrote, arranged, recorded and performed on. It is an original, they have the copyright, it's not a cover, it's a re-release of the original and they own all the rights.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 03/17/19 09:38 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.