Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
I don't think it's easy. Then again, I haven't seen many things that are.

I agree with you! I just wish there was a better way to quantify odds of success IRL with these things.

Many years ago when I went to college you would sit with a counselor and try and match your interests, skills, potential, etc. with the projected job market. You could get an idea of how much you would need to invest in education and then how easy it would be to find a job in your chosen field.

So nowadays a conversation like that might go, "If you wanna work in the medical field without a doctor-level degree then a Dental Hygienist is a growing field that pays a median yearly salary of $74,070." If you train in that field you are almost certain to score a job and reach that level of pay in a fairly short/predictable time.

Maybe you are technical and find that a Web Developer median pay is $67,990; there are plenty of positions available. Or maybe you prefer a trade such as HVAC Technician with a median pay of $47,080 and these folks are always in demand. And so on.

But when someone chooses music as a career nowadays I have to believe this path is fraught with risks quite similar to those of wannabe actors out in Hollywood waiting tables for years waiting for that big break.

None of this means you shouldn't go for it if it is your dream and you are willing to put in the hard work. But it strikes me as sad not to prepare yourself for the odds before dedicating yourself to that path.

BTW, I also do not buy lottery tickets! laugh