Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
You seem to be saying a music career is easy to do if you only do the right things and buy the right shovels from the genius stay-at-home-mom. Of course it is possible to make a living in music but it is NOT easy or even likely for the vast majority of people! To suggest otherwise is just silly!

For the sake of silliness, let's re-visit "Never be so sure of what you want that you wouldn't take something better" Chris Voss.

If I'm to guess, I'm speculating you think a music career is mainly performing. That not everyone can write a song, record a record, brand their self, market their material and so on. You're thinking you have to be discovered by some big record executive or win American Idol. If that's the case, you're confusing fame and fortune with making a living in music.

Here's a "Never be so sure of what you want that you wouldn't take something better" scenario for you. There are likely many forum members who fit into this profile. Music is their hobby and over the years they've created a nice home studio, collected various instruments and equipment. Repurposed their garage for a 'home studio' and in short have $10,000 total invested in their hobby of music. A nice mixer, several amps, two Mackie subs, two tops, 6-8 dynamic mics and a 24 channel snake they got from their church when the Sanctuary was updated to digital three years ago. They have everything they need to set up a five piece band. They can't find reliable players and no club wants to pay any 'real' money to bands anymore. That's your world of music...

What you want is to perform playing music. What might be better? Your real job is working for a prominent fortune 500 company. You're at work and on break several of your co-workers are discussing the upcoming annual spring employee and family appreciation picnic day. Because you know it's hard to make it in a music career, and even more unlikely for someone like you, it never occurs to you to ask what the sound budget is for the day and to offer your services and equipment for the job. Later you learn the budget was $1,200. You've missed a great opportunity and excellent chance at repeat business. The same thing could happen at your children's school play, awards ceremony, athletic events. Same thing at the town festival, church festivals, Uncle Bob's and Aunt Mary's 50th anniversary. Most of these types of events are too small and won't have the budget or need for a professional sound crew and equipment and don't want to pay $700 or more for a DJ but would gladly pay you $350 for a two hour gig rather than pulling that 6 channel peavey mixer head and those old stereo speakers from the conference room and Ms. Betty from the kitchen crew to serve as MC. Corporate gigs can easily pull in over a thousand dollars for a half day and it's very likely you have better gear and skills than the Marriott offers in their conference room.

And another: Maybe cousin Larry talks you into going to hear a hot new Gospel group. While there, it's not your favorite type of music but you're impressed with the group's talent. Everything is tight but the whole performance it doesn't seem they every really get their sound dialed in. You tell yourself and cuz Larry you've got better equipment than they do and you certainly could improve their sound with what little you know about running sound. You mingle with the folks and group after the performance and during small talk learn they do over 100 shows a year - making their living performing. It never occurs to you to offer your services and equipment and become their sound engineer and pick up a gig of 100 shows.

Making a living in music is not hard. It is easy if you know what opportunities exist, where they are and have a willingness to work. You may think $350 is silly and beneath your musical talent but not me.

There are literally dozens of different ways to 'make a living' with music. Consider maybe part time teaching 40 students 30 minute lessons a week at $20 is $800 gross per week for 20 hours work... Offer a BIAB generated practice CD for $10 per student for an additional $400 and $1,200 per week career in music... I know, that sounds nearly impossible for an average person to do, silly me.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 03/19/19 12:36 PM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.