This is an interesting topic for a variety of reasons.

First of all, a person's comments say more about the person making the comments than about the person who is the object of the comments. Comments are generally opinions, and as such, they testify to the mind and heart of the person who is sharing them.

Another interesting aspect of sharing our opinions about music or any kind of personal expression is that some reviewers are actually just saying whether they like it or not, which is highly subjective and not usually what the song writer wants to know. Given the large number of musical genres, the chances are probably slim that any of us will post a song that appeals aesthetically to most people on the forum. Yet, the average person, in the spirit of "honesty" feels compelled to share their dislike or like for the song.

Any time I've ever posted a song, I started with the assumption that subjective comments weren't going to be useful to me. What I wanted to hear was whether or not people could detect what I was trying to accomplish. Whether they noticed the effort made to achieve good time, rhythm and meter. Whether they noticed word play, dual meanings etc, especially if two possible interpretations of a word gave the song two completely different meanings. Whether they noticed and could accurately identify the hook and the melody and the signature guitar riffs. Those are completely different considerations than whether or not all those elements work together to please the listener.

An intelligent person can appreciate things he/she doesn't find pleasing to the ear, if there are other things about it that stand out as being done well. As a general rule, I think its good to ask yourself what the song writer was trying to accomplish, then comment accordingly. I never listen to country music, but some of my favorite BIAB song writers are masters of that genre, and it is a pleasure to watch how they make their magic happen over and over again. But if you were to ask me if I liked the songs for the sake of listening, I'd probably say no. That answer is not a reflection on the songs (which are awesome), it is a reflection on my preferred musical genre, which isn't country.

Does that make sense?