So new neighbors moved in behind me a few weeks ago. They have a mixed breed dog about the size of a golden retreiver which they tie to the fence with a short LEASH, throw food on the ground when they feel like feeding him and a big metal bowl water dish that is sometimes filled with fresh water. I've only seen them let him off the leash once to run around the yard. They are gone so much I thought the toys on their back patio were staged to make it look like someone lives there.

The dog has no shelter, he can lay down, stand up and move around maybe 2 feet if that much. Sometimes he cries, not all the time - most of the time he just lays there. And what they don't know is - that part of their yard floods and I mean FLOODS when it comes a big rain. He was out there in a short lived thunderstorm today so he's probably laying in mud now. When it rains heavy like it does here - it is going to get really weird.

I just don't get people who do this. If they don't want a dog why don't they just give him away to somebody that'll treat him decent and take proper care of him. I don't want any hassles or retaliation from calling animal control on them. And the way their yard is shaped they've got him where none of the other neighbors can see what's going on but us.

We had the same situation with the people on the side of us years ago when their dog almost died because their 10 yr old son who was supposed to be responsible for the dog tied it with a leash to their fence out in the hot summer sun with no water. We called on them. They were fined and had to pay a big vet bill. That family abused so many more dogs in different ways after that and were reported over and over by neighbors. And she's a successful professional who sells insurance. They'd just get another dog and sometimes more than one like the dogs were disposeable - I've never seen one family go through that many dogs and mistreat them all.

It got so bad with them that the lady who used to live behind me (where the new couple moved in) had a screaming fight with her yelling you're supposed to love your dogs and take of them or don't have any! Finally, after years, thank God, they have no more have animals. It was an emotionally draining awful experience that I never wanted to go through again.

And now - here we are - with this new to the neighborhood young couple - with three small kids I'm told - I've never seen anybody but the young man who's the father I assume - moved in and have tied up their dog behind my music room - as far away from their own house as they could get - where nobody can see how they neglect him or hear him cry but us. I can't believe it.

Oh and the dog goes crazy barking every time me or my husband walk out in our own backyard. I guess he's been treated so badly for so long he won't let us get near. So we can't even give him any water. It's a pathetic situation.