Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

This is a REALLY nice piece. A terrific listen. You are good at pacing an instrumental.

I agree with Bob when he said "To me, the neck squeaks add texture - makes it sound 'live'"...

Excellent mix. Nice arrangement.

-----

I will mention something that I think can be improved... the drum track includes a ride cymbal playing rapidly/continuously - I would assume during B sections. It draws attention to itself - and, therefore, away from the other instruments - and in particular the melody (which the instrumental is all about). I noticed it in the intro right away. Then it drops out. Then it comes back and gets more and more distracting (to my ear, anyway). Personally ('cause after all that is what it comes down to) I would drop the B drums and make them all A (assuming that is where it happens).

Note: I am listening on a really nice set of speakers connected to my computer - Presonus E3.5 - small near-field monitors - raised 12" off the desktop so they are right at ear level. I decided that since I spent SO much time listening to music on my computer, I should have a quality speaker as opposed to a standard (or even "good" desktop computer speaker.) They are awesome! SO... it might not be an issue for others...I don't know...

That is a lot of "discussion" about a very small "problem" (if you can even call it that). Your stuff is SO good, I think it is worth the mention, though...

----

This is great stuff! I really enjoyed it! Keep it up!!!

fj

Hi Floyd ...

Since I'm but a mediocre singer, at best, I figured out many years ago that I'd better hone my instrumental skills, creating and performing, if I was to have a future in the music business. I ended up making a very good living as a guitarist for 50+ years. If I'd depended in my vocal abilities to to put food on the table, I'd be really skinny! So, many thousands of hours were devoted to be an instrumentalist.

What I learned through all that was pacing and tasteful melodic choices were the most important elements short of a good mix. Thank you for validating all those hours of effort over the years.

I went back and listened twice before this reply - you are so right about those cymbals on the B parts. I'm slowly
and steadily losing the ability to hear the higher EQ range. I'll be 73 on my next birthday - yikes! So, you are probably correct with your assessment regarding that. As soon as I get a chance, I'll run that track again and keep it in the A mode all the way through. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Just so you know ... you'll never upset me by offering your observations on issues that could be improved. Rather, I appreciate it very, very much. Thanks!

Wishing you & yours the very best ...

Alan

Last edited by Al-David; 04/10/19 05:37 PM.

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops