Originally Posted By: floyd jane

I listened to the new Randy Houser record a couple of weeks ago (it's quite good). I only WISH that I could sing THAT Country!! I'll take "confident and genuine" any day of the week!

Quote:

I can't tell if you are selling yourself short; or just being humble. I can tell you I likes what I hears. smile

[quote]I readily see your point about using "jazz" instead of "rock'n'roll". I "fits" the perceived scenario (to the logical mind). However... this verse was written as a comparison/juxtaposition of my wife and I - and every part of it is "real life". She hates jazz. She loved 70's Rock - BTO was a favorite - though she could not names bands - she just knows the songs when they come on the radio (and returns to her wild-college-days).

Ok, I didn't have that information. lol However, I totally understand. When I was reading the lyrics I had two thoughts about this specifically (aside from a possible suggestion)

1-I haven't known you to struggle with what you are trying to say. If it's there; it's meant to be there.

2-I very much wondered if it was your life experience. I have a friend, who is a married wife of two young boys. She very much enjoys the finer things in life. "Great" shoes, wine, and food. The last meal they prepared was seven courses; and I couldn't pronounce any of it. She is not stuffy. Just cultured. Oh...and she plays bass in a rock band! So, I promise I get it.

[quote]I would argue that "french wine" goes with "russian novels" in a way that "italian pasta" does not (and as you implied, I doubt I would ever use "Italian" to modify "pasta).

No argument there at all. I was throwing out an idea. I personally haven't known anyway to snuggle up by the fire with a great book, and a bowl of fettuccine Alfredo. It's too heavy. Everyone knows with Russian novels, you go with a red sauce.

Seriously though, I did get the imagery and felt it was very accurate. What I was trying to avoid was the double use of the word "soul." The second as a type of music.

I'm on board with what you have for sure. smile

Quote:
Although I started with "french wine" and later used "vive la difference" it was not to make "her" seem THAT French - which adding the merlot (or Bordeaux) does (for me). Needless to say, the point was "we are completely different". (She does love french wine and she does use those phrases she learned in high school french class - to this day...)

At least she's using something from HS French class. I also took French but only remember how to say things sporadically. One phrase I do remember is "où est la corbeille?" It sounds beautiful when said; but has been fairly useless so far for me in life. lol

Quote:
All of this is, of course, subjective. But it was fun to "argue the point"! Thanks for the chance to do that!!

I'm laughing thinking; well...neither of us are not one for trends apparently. Aren't we supposed to be offended? You would think at least one of use could have pulled that off. wink

Thank you for sharing a bit more about where the song emerged from. I love hearing the story behind the story.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.