Originally Posted By: silvertones
There are only 2 types of music:
1. Serious aka classics and jazz.Trained schooled players that played only for the King and Queen
2. Folk aka music of the people. No formal training, no technique but lots of lyrics.

Call it what you want but if it ain't #1 it's folk music.

Pretty general but in the park. And a lot of Rock and Country artists are secretly or non-so-secretly into classics and/or jazz.

Back before the Internet and Satellite radio, Nashville had two great jazz radio stations.

I read an article from a session player who wrote, "If you want to keep working, don't let 'the suits' know you are secretly into jazz".

I had the good fortune to meet Chet Atkins a couple of years before he died, and he said that he always wanted to be a jazz player but he knew which side of the bread was buttered.

And yes, "Nashville" music today isn't what country used to be in the 50s, but then neither is Rock music. It's a huge evolution from Buddy Holly to Beatles to Moody Blues to GnR, to Greta Van Fleet.

When I was young, Rhythm & Blues was what Bobby 'Blue' Bland, BB King, and others played, mostly 3 chords with minor 3rds played over major chords and a lot of dominant 7 chords. Absolutely nothing like what they call R&B today.

I've seen Funk evolve from light and bouncy, to down and out 12/8 blues, to various forms of 16beat rhythms, everything about it slowly changing but the name "Funk".

Music evolves.

I have played classical, jazz, country, rock, blues, disco, salsa, soca, reggae, and quite a few other forms of music. For most pro musicians, playing music is what we do, and it doesn't matter what type of music we play; when you do it for a living you play what the audience wants to hear.

For me there are only two kinds of music.

1) good music

2) music written for people other than me

And Nashville isn't the country music of my youth, there are often more than 3 chords, the bass isn't always playing 1's and 5's, and the arrangements are often more complex.

I'm sure some welcome the change and others do not.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks